Sunday, February 23, 2014

Making Lemonade out of Lemons

During my last shift at work, I was tasked with making lemonade.
The first step was assessing the state of the four cases of lemons, weeding out the moldy and rotten ones, and cleaning the lemons that remained.
Where the first step focused on outward appearance, the second began changing the lemon's shape by cutting them in half to make the next step easier.
The third step was by far the longest. It was time to squeeze the lemons - change their shape, transform their nature, and remodel their image. As I hovered over the motorized squeezer, I smirked a little thinking that I was fulfilling the cliche saying, "When life gives you lemons, make lemonade."
And then my smirk disappeared when I had this crazy revelation that a walk with God is like making lemonade.
God, the squeezer, takes each individual lemon (or human, in this case) and assesses the state of their being. While looking deep into their hearts he sees them not just as what they are in that moment but everything that they could and are meant to be. He is not hindered by the messy appearance - he looks beyond the moldy nature to consider the true purpose. Meanwhile, the lemon is oblivious to the plans the squeezer has. She does not know the pain and discomfort set before her, she knows only that in her current form she feels like she just isn't quite existing in her most productive state.
The squeezer then takes his lemon in hand and splices it right down the middle. The lemon soon adjusts to this new form of existence. Changed. Different. Never going back to the old. Which is true, the lemon has encountered the squeezer and no lemon should ever be the same after this. The squeezer always brings change.
The lemon cannot remain in such a state for very long. Though it is easy to become comfortable this way, if allowed to rest in this form the lemon will soon become wrinkly and some of it's worth might begin to wane. The squeezer then takes the lemon again in hand and this time truly changes it. The lemon is exposed to the wringer and the flesh is separated from the heart and squeezed down to pure juice.

At what point in this process does the lemon have any right to say to the squeezer, "I know you intend me for different purposes, but I would like to forego the hard work and take the easy route?"

How often recently have I, a mere lemon in the hands of the Squeezer, tried to wave my pointy little finger at the one holding me and tell Him my different plan? The squeezer will not abandon the work He has begun until he sees it to completion. He sees me in my meager form and deems me worthy of the call of Christ - it is not an easy call, though. My nature must be changed, my heart separated from my flesh, and my image completely remodeled. This change is uncomfortable. There are times of doubt, questioning, and uncertainty. Does the Squeezer really understand what is best for me? Does He really mean what He says when He states this new form is necessary for growth, that I must push through to see the goodness? And if I do push through, will the goodness really come?
The answer is yes. Even in the dry, the lonely, the confusing, the uncomfortable, the wearisome, and the painful seasons, the Squeezer knows what form in which the lemon will best function. He understands the pain inflicted by the squeezing and wringing of everything on the inside, and He promises to never leave in these seasons.
And He definitely means what he says when the goodness will come. The beautiful thing is that, when in lemonade form, there is only a small ratio of lemon juice in the sugar and water mixture. So it is with God. There is only a little of us remaining, but the rest of our beings are filled with God. We are in Him and He is in us. He fills the cracks and inadequacies presented by our slight strength with His goodness and never failing strength. When we are poured out into others' lives or into the trivialities of life, God is there always ready to fill us with more of Him and His grace and joy and strength. On its own, the lemon is nothing. It is quick to rot and fade into a state of worthlessness. But with the Squeezer, the lemon is given immeasurable worth and purpose. I was encouraged by making lemonade not to be discouraged or dismayed by the squeezing and pressure of life but to hold onto to the hope of the goodness of the call presented to me.

1 comment:

  1. Oh so true dear! Thanks for sharing these thoughts.. It kind of reminds me of what scripture says about us being the clay and the Lord being the potter. He shapes us, molds us and fashions us into the vessel (pot or jar) that He wants us to be.

    Who are we to question what He is doing, or how He is shaping us? And yet we do. He knows how He wants to use us. I am grateful that He knows more and sees further down the road than I do, for sure!

    ReplyDelete