Monday, January 6, 2014

New Adventures

"God is not only a God of the unexpected call, but also the unexpected fulfillment. When God gives the unexpected call do not run from it or ignore it. With the challenge comes fulfillment. Answer the unexpected call. Embrace the unexpected challenge. Rejoice in the unexpected fulfillment." (The words of a wise chapel speaker at Toccoa Falls College.)

One week from today I begin a new and unexpected adventure. I call it unexpected because had someone told me six months ago where I would be today I most certainly would not have believed them. Six months ago I had a stable plan for my life, though I was not overly excited about it (and we all know they saying about "the best laid plans often go astray"). I planned to move to school in Georgia for four years, get a solid education and achieve a degree, and find someone with whom to spend the remainder of my years. We would then live happily ever after traveling the world, drinking coffee, wearing TOMS, and reading inspiring books.

My four year stay in Georgia, however, turned into a four month stay that taught me more than I ever imagined. It taught me how to open my heart and my arms to those around me in order to establish a deep level of community. I learned that, though not always comfortable, in order to form such deep relationships certain levels of vulnerability and accountability are required. I know this will serve me well in my future as I continue to seek to create and grow relationships.

I had a glorified view of attending a private school and moving away from home, but an enhanced outlook is rarely realistic and things are not always as one imagines.

I determined how to make decisions (both serious and trivial) for myself which, as an indecisive person, can prove to be a very challenging task. While seeking to make the decision on my own to transfer to a school closer to home, I learned to seek God in a way that I had not done in the past yet confidently move forward.

A few months before leaving for Georgia when an attractive and Christ-loving Coast Guardsmen caught my eye in church, I told myself (and almost everyone around me) that anything more than being acquaintences would be impossible due to our age difference and varying life experience. I quickly realized in Georgia as this relationship blossomed that the word "impossible" needed to be eliminated from my vocabulary. Many months later, this Coastie has completely stolen my heart and I would have it no other way. (This also goes to show, "Never say never.")

I learned that God can use even my areas of glaring weaknesses for his glory.

I expected to learn great things in Georgia, but the greatest lessons were those that were unexpected. This, too, goes for adventures. I expected the adventures involved with moving but the ones that will stay in my heart and continue to bring joy are the ones that I did not see coming and took me by surprise. This is why I look forward to my new adventure starting one week from today. Though I expect it in general terms, I know that chances are I am not yet aware of the grand ones that will catch me off guard and be the most memorable. Many adventures will sneak up on me, some might shake my world a little bit, and some might make me feel overwhelmed, but those will be the ones to leave the greatest and lasting mark. They will be the ones to etch lessons in my heart, to strengthen me, to help me grow, and help me to see life from a new perspective.

I believe God not only gives the unexpected call but also beckons the brave on unexpected adventures. The One who calls on the adventures is faithful and offers unexpected fulfillment for those with hearts willing to accept the challenge.

Here's to Adventures!

No comments:

Post a Comment